This is the blog for lookupgospelchoir.com, the art site of Ryan Callis. Here is where I post about influences, and the stories behind my art. To see the art that this blog refers to, visit www.lookupgospelchoir.com.

Thursday, June 26, 2008

El Capitan balancing and exit from Rodenville





So I have been postless and lifeless for the last month because my j0b has become all consuming and I was working for the Laguna Art Museum with Dan and Dave Kelley installing Meg Linten's crazy huge show so I almost lost my shit since oh yeah I have a wife, a child, and a solo show in December. What am I thinking. So mid install we go to El Cap for fathers day to surf and balance and it was fun. Greg made the fashion section of the New York Times that day for his shop Assembley being rad. That day and again most loudly yesterday I came to the realization that I am going to quit my job and paint full time and rely on God and my cunning to make bills. This will be the ultimate adventure. I'll blog about that plenty in the weeks to come.
I also purchased a one way ticket out of Steve Rodenville. He's a generous dude and would have maybe allowed me to stay beyond my welcome but I realize that I created a false reality where I thought I was only slightly borrowing his early forms of exploration and making my own work, which may be slightly true and is sooo much fun. But I was making Roden's (as a recent curator said at a studio visit of my system, "oh like Steve Roden"). And he makes better Roden's than me by a long shot (i.e. his brain busting show at S.V.P.). So as great a place to explore as Rodenville is I have packed my bags and struck out to new territory and explorations. I have new pics of done pieces that I will post in the next couple of days. Tonight I begin a new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment