This is the blog for lookupgospelchoir.com, the art site of Ryan Callis. Here is where I post about influences, and the stories behind my art. To see the art that this blog refers to, visit www.lookupgospelchoir.com.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

When Dividing Space Runs Amok


I enjoy enacting systems and following them to the fullest degree. I've written about this before. This painting and the one's I have been working on this year have begun with a geometric laying down of the cirlcles and squares of phrases that I meditate on that I translate into Morse Code. I like the idea of talking about God (which a lot of people treat as a dead dialogue) using a dead technilogical language. Then I divide the space around the laid out code and see what happens. This one took me somewhere and shit go away from me but at least it brought me back home.
The original text says "I will not be a prisoner" which is the chorus to an old Little Wings song. But I like how it rings like an old gospel chorus. This guy needs to be wrangled in a bit but I like where it's going.

No comments:

Post a Comment