This is the blog for lookupgospelchoir.com, the art site of Ryan Callis. Here is where I post about influences, and the stories behind my art. To see the art that this blog refers to, visit www.lookupgospelchoir.com.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hello blog...


It has been a while since I have blogosphered.  So I am reading Bernard Malamud's The Magic Barrell today which is a collection of short stories published in the early '50's.  I found the book at Acres of Books last year and bought it based on the cover but after hearing "A Summer's Reading" which is one of the included stories, read on the New Yorker fiction podcast, I was all "word, I gotta read this".  So today, as I sit bored at work, I have read it and I have been enchanted, laughed out loud, and had magical, visual head play as Malamud describes mid century New Yorkers, mostly Jewish refugees, and fully human characters, live out simple, sometime agonizing, lives.  Really amazing and powerful.  Word, you gotta read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment