This is the blog for lookupgospelchoir.com, the art site of Ryan Callis. Here is where I post about influences, and the stories behind my art. To see the art that this blog refers to, visit www.lookupgospelchoir.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015


I finally finished this 11″ x 17″ ink on paper text melter after two months.  I started a couple of days after new years by repeating a piece of text over and over again until it had created a maze of pencil drawing.  Then I began to color in opposing areas so that black only bordered empty space, no black on black.  Obviously in the middle you can see where the most overlaying happened.
The text repeated over and over was “thank you Jeeeeesus” (very gospely called out in my imagination) for at the new year I was very thankful and wanted to spend the time working on this piece in a state of prayerful thanksgiving, using it like a scholars rock almost.  I only used pens that Tammy brings home on accident from work (a job we’re thankful she has).  Lastly I erased out all outlines of pencil and BAM, your mind is blown…thankyou2

No comments:

Post a Comment