This is the blog for lookupgospelchoir.com, the art site of Ryan Callis. Here is where I post about influences, and the stories behind my art. To see the art that this blog refers to, visit www.lookupgospelchoir.com.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

oldies














I found these on my memory stick of my camera. Two of them I sent to my ol' buddy Greg when he moved to New York and one I gave to Max Presneill. At any rate I really liked making these and they were made in this really fucked up transitional time where I was kind of ape-ing Steve Roden's system of letters to inches and using that to create the structures and the moves. I was really not knowing how to fit it all together and then these clapping hands popped up and made it worse, but it all made so much sense I had to press through. I think my work now owes everything to this six months of hard won ground back in the winter of 07-08, and these three were part of the battle carnage. It was post grad school and I was figuring it out on my own but looking back I really like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment