This is the blog for lookupgospelchoir.com, the art site of Ryan Callis. Here is where I post about influences, and the stories behind my art. To see the art that this blog refers to, visit www.lookupgospelchoir.com.

Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Fist Fight, oil and acrylic on canvas, 24” x 36”, 2012/2015

Fist fights are super interesting to me in that when applied well, a punch can possess phenomenal energy, or can look super silly when done by inexperienced people in rapid motion.  I once saw two cholo's in high school, whoop a rival gang members ass in such graceful and quick flow, that it looked like dancing.  I also like the old Jack Dempsy type of 30's, bad motion picture camera work type of fast boxing footage.  I tried to capture that motion.  

The second aspect of the piece that I like, or find humor or interest in, is that the figures, which seem and look male, look like they could be kissing.  I have oft found it humorous how super homo erotic, two tough guys, face to face, and then eventually "getting physical" do the same dance and ritual as mating animals.  That MMA, Pro Wrestling, and just plain fighting, are the pastimes of so many macho, hetero, tough guys, is very ironic to me.  I think it's all...well....kind of gay (not that there's anything wrong with that!!!).  

But aesthetically I like the idea of old Tom Waits song type, smokey, boozy, boxing halls.  That's where this painting is birthed, and then phychedilicized.  That would have been cool to watch I suppose.  Or goofy 60's pro wrestling, or remember the GLOW girls when we were kids???  But I digress....



No comments:

Post a Comment