This is the blog for lookupgospelchoir.com, the art site of Ryan Callis. Here is where I post about influences, and the stories behind my art. To see the art that this blog refers to, visit www.lookupgospelchoir.com.

Saturday, April 18, 2015



This piece that I titled "Ah Um" based on the classic Mingus record was made by essentially writing the words AH and UM on the canvas and then building an image out of that framework using colors and shapes and colors and shapes.  But in researching a bit I ran across Lake Michigan having never heard of it existing.  A metaphor for my find of design giant S. Neil Fujita, who somehow had gone over my radar for all these years.  His work I know, and I own some of it, and invented things I've taken for granted for years, like the Columbia Records logo and pressing sticker designs on many of my records.  The freaking Godfather cover and puppeteer hand logo.  Daaamn.  And that Mingus was no slouch himself.  

But back to the painting.  It's not my favorite, but it led to some cool discoveries as my art making usually does.








No comments:

Post a Comment